Paints and Brushes required: A basic paint and brush kit can be ordered through the School for $50. We will be supplying all canvas paper for beginners, but students are responsible to buy canvases as they progress.
If you will be purchasing the brushes on your own (not through the school), you need to find a large bristle flat brush, fan brush, medium round brush, small round brush/detail brush, and a blending/fluff brush.
Required acrylic paints include: white, black, cadmium red, yellow (preferably cadmium, not lemon), ochre, blue, purple, and green. Highly suggested: Primary (bright) red paint.
Charcoal & Pastels
· Art Advantage 23-Inch by 26-Inch Artist Sketch Board ~ 15.00
· 18 X 24 inch Sketch pad. 50# weight paper. ~ 15.00
· Charcoal Pencils (minimum)
o 2 of each of the following charcoal pencils: 2B, 4B & 6B. 1 - 8B charcoal pencil (approx. $4 for a set of 2 pencils).
o General’s has a variety set of charcoal pencils for approx. $6 it comes with one of each weights of charcoal pencils and an eraser.
· Charcoal Sticks
o 2 Soft, 2 Medium & 2 Hard
· Charcoal sharpener
· Light Adhesive FrogTape (Painter’s tape) preferably yellow and not blue or green
· 24” T-Square (approx. $17.00)
· Small set of drawing pencils
· Assorted Soft Chalk Pastels. Faber-Castel FC128224 Creative Studio Soft Pastel Crayons (24 Pack), Assorted. Cost approx. $13.00
· Either a kneaded eraser or a white eraser. I prefer student to not use erasers but there are certainly times when they will be needed.
Please some type of towel for your hands as charcoals and pastels are messy… smile
- Laptop Computer
- Graphics Tablet (Drawing Tablet)
Note: If you can't get a hold of a laptop and/or tablet but still want to take the class, contact us for our student laptop & tablet rental program.
Students are required to supply their own color pencils. Prismacolor Premiere pencils are the best to use for their waxy base quality. It is easier to blend and build color with Prismacolor pencils. A basic set of 24 would be good enough to start.
Micron Brand ink pen sizes 005, 03, 05 or the Micron pack of 6 pens (size 005, 01, 02, 03, 05, 08). Prismacolor pens are also an option.
Watercolor Paints: Cadmium red, Cadmium Yellow, Ultramarine. (optional: Black, White, Purple and Brown)
Brushes: Round 8 or 10, Flat 8 or 10 (Optional: Angle brush, Wash brush, Fan brush any size)
Pallete ( large white plates are preferred)
Winsor Newton and Cotman
Pencils, micron pens, eraser and sharpener.
Optional: Color pencils, paints or any preferred medium.